Are You Ready to be a Puppy-Raiser?
Puppy-raisers must be able to commit to attending obedience training classes with an ASDA trainer the first weekend of the month from 10:00 to 2:00. Social outings are also part of the weekend meetings. We take the puppies to the local mall, movie theatre and or restaurants and parks.
ASDA trainers interview potential puppy raisers in their homes. We want to know that all members of the household are committed to the puppy, and that a safe and secure environment will be provided. Puppies need to be supervised throughout the day, and must live and sleep indoors. You must submit an application for approval and attend preliminary club meetings. Once accepted, you must use ASDA training and management techniques, be a positive representative of ASDA within the community, and you are required to release the puppy back to ASDA at the organization’s request.
Before you consider if puppy-raising is right for you, there are some important questions to consider. If you can answer “yes” then you may become a valued ASDA puppy-raiser!
Questions to ask yourself:
- Are you patient and consistent with animals?
- Can you make a 12-18 month commitment to raising a puppy?
- Can you invest time every day to the puppy?
- Are you home during the day? (Puppies cannot be crated more than 4 hours at a time)
- If you aren’t home during the day, will you take the puppy to work, school etc.?
- Are you willing to follow the instructions of ASDA trainers?
- Are you committed to making the puppy a member of your family?